Thursday, November 20, 2008

Just another day in paradise....

Quite a few of you have already heard about my day yesterday because I called you asking for your help. So, for you, sorry about the repeat, but I hope you will enjoy the corresponding pictures. For those of you who didn't hear about my day yesterday....

It was a good morning. Everything was going well. I put down all 4 kids (mine and the 2 I babysit for) for their afternoon nap. There was no crying, screaming, or tantrum throwing. Therefore, I settled down with a book. About 5 minutes later Alaina came downstairs and said she had to go to the bathroom. She is very independent, so I said, "Ok, honey, I'll be in in a minute." A minute or two went by and I hadn't heard the toilet flush so I went in to check on her. She had gotten into my makeup and was applying my Revlon ColorStay Overtime lipstick all over her face. I was annoyed and told her to put it back (after I had gotten sufficiant pictures of course...).

She was proud of herself and I was only slightly annoyed. That is until I tried to get it off. Yep, I'm sure you see where I'm going with this. Here is what she looked at after I used water, facial soap and water, and as a last resort Vaseline.

So, now I'm panicking calling up everyone I know trying to figure out how to get this stuff off of her face. I finally got a great suggestion from Carolynn to call Revlon and ask them. Great idea!!! I was thrilled! It sounds so simple but the idea never crossed my mind.

While I had been calling around (frantically!!) I had put Alaina back up to bed and figured since the lipstick wasn't coming off with chemicals or scrubbing, it was a pretty safe bet that it wouldn't rub off on her bedding. So, I had popped myself some popcorn and continued calling around. In the meantime, Leo woke up from his nap.

So I was on the phone with Revlon (distracted), when I walked back into the living room. Leo had gotten into my popcorn...

You can't tell from this picture, but the popcorn was spread throughout the entire living room. Also, why is it when my kids get into trouble they look so proud of themselves? (Actually, it is probably because I'm taking pictures instead of taking them to time out...the sacrifices I make to have pictures for the blog...)

It was cute though; while I was vacuuming the popcorn up, Leo got his play vacuum and followed me around pushing it back and forth like I was doing.

Anyhow, the Revlon lady said to try an oil based makeup remover. Supposedly, both Revlon and Avon carry it. So, I planned a trip to Wal-Mart for after dinner. But, before I went and spent and arm and a leg (because I'm sure that's what they charge) I figured I would try to soak it out with a bubble bath.

So, here is a picture of Daddy and Alaina after trying to remove the lipstick using water, soap and water, facial scrub, Vaseline, and bubble bath.....5 hours after she put it on!


Not any lighter than when we started....

So I was walking the cream and potion aisle at Wal-Mart trying desperately to find an oil based make-up remover of any brand. Finally, after staring blankly for 10 minutes with a red-faced girl and a restless boy, I walked away with 2 make-up removers. Neither one specified that they were oil based, but they were the only ones I could find that were not advertised as oil free. I left the makeup area feeling less than hopeful. Fortunately, on my way out I saw a woman working in that department. I went up to her tentatively and told her about my predicament (complete with 2 year old daughter for proof). She laughed (Yes! Laughed!!) at me and led me over to same type of lipstick, only Mabelline brand. I said, yep, that's the stuff and she reached down next to it and handed me this:

I had never been so happy in my life to see a make-up remover. I quickly returned my other makeup removers and left feeling very optimistic. Wouldn't you know, this is what Alaina looked like 30 seconds after I started trying to remove the lipstick with only the tube and a single tissue:

The little bit of red on her lip is from the day before when she hit it. It is not left over lipstick. that stuff got every bit of it off.

I have learned 2 things from my adventures yesterday:

1.) If I ever need or know someone who needs lipstick that will last all day, I will always, always, always recommend Revlon ColorStay Overtime Lipcolor.

2.) I will now always have Mabelline Superaway Lipcolor Remover on hand until Alaina is old enough to wear lipstick. Then again, maybe longer because it is not fun when you buy new lipstick and it looks better in the tube than on your lips and you can't get it off....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Wendy, I am sending you lots and lots of HUGS!! Kids!! the things they get into. Great idea from Carolyn to call the company.

Gotta keep those pictures - they are valuable.

Love you all,

Auntie Pam

Unknown said...

OMG that is horrible and great at the same time! Glad it came off easy with the remover! It should have a warning on it that says
'keep out of the reach of children it won't come off without special remover' Leo looked like he enjoyed the popcorn =)

Josh, Laura, Kylee and Lexi Engstrom said...

hey. i always wondered if they made lipstick remover, since i'm a frequent buyer of those colorstay lipsticks and they frequently look much better in the tube then on me. good to know they make a remover! thanks alaina for teaching me a lesson!

Anonymous said...

The list of free stuff you could get from this experience just keeps growing. First write Revlon, then Maybelline, then Master Card... cause this whole shabang is PRICELESS. This will keep me smiling for days! Um, you know, because it didn't happen to me. Should've. Most likely will at some point. But today? Just grateful for the laugh. Give her a big smooch from me. And Leo in the popcorn? Too cute! Especially because he helped you "clean."

Love & (((HUGS)))!

Anonymous said...

Sooo cute to want to be like Momma.
Guess what i am bring up for Alaina to play with. Hope you got plenty of that stuff, haha.
I didnt know you got a new vaccum?
Very productive one i bet!
Love Grammy

Anonymous said...

Hey at least it was lipstick. Your husband had a very different experience when he was a little boy. He tried shaving at G n G Hathway's house, with a real shaver. Ask Bonnie.

Auntie Jackie

P.S. What a fun memory to tease Alaina with when she starts wearing makeup as a teen.